The Bahamas is a country in the Caribbean and consists of over 700 islands.
Impressions from my Vlog
The capital Nassau is also an island. The city center was made up of colorful houses and a museum about slaves was intresting. During the day several cruise liners docked and the city was full, in the evening the city felt empty again.
Close to Downtown Nassau is Paradise Island. The island enchanted me with its white sandy beach and clear water for snorkeling.
- I was for 4 days on the Bahamas.
- Day 1: Arrival by plane from Fort Lauderdale (Miami, USA) to Nassau.
- Day 2: Sightseeing from the city center.
- Day 3: Bathing and snorkeling on Paradise Island.
- Day 4: Departure by plane from Nassau to Kingston (Jamaica).
- I used for my planning and can recommend the Lonely Planet for the Caribbean Islands.
- Getting there:
- Nassau has an international airport. There are affordable flights from Miami and many other major cities in the US.
- Cruise ships
- Boat tour from Miami
- Budget transport from the airport to the city:
- At the airport are only taxis (30 USD to 40 USD) and no public transport.
- Within walking distance is the road to the downtown of Nassau. There you will get a bus for 3 USD during the day.
- Budget transport on Nassau:
- There are minibusses that the locals take to get to work in the morning and back home in the evening.
- There are hardly any minibusses on the weekend.
- I found the most budget accommodation on HostelWorld.
- I can recommend as location the downtown of Nassau. It’s centrally located and you can explore the rest of the island cost-effective with buses.
- I stayed at a hostel “Humeshouse @ Hillcrest HUMESHOUSE” (HostelWorld) in downtown Nassau. Thus, the city center and Paradise Island were within walking distance.
Food & Drinks
- The supermarkets in the Bahamas are very expensive, for a sunscreen I paid 13 USD and a bar of chocolate costs 3 USD. Only bananas and toast were cheap. To save money, it is worthwhile to buy food in advance and take it with you on the pane.
- The restaurant will charge you in addition a service fee of 15 %.
Do you have questions to plan your trip or suggestions? I'm looking forward to your commentary.