Antarctica is one of the seven continents and is located in the southern part of the globe.
Impressions from my Vlog
Expedition Ship & Zodiacs
The only way to set foot on Antarctica is by an expedition ships from Ushuaia, Argentinian (flights are planned in the future). For two days we went with big waves through the Drake Passage. We used Zodiac for the landings on ice and land, these are small rugged inflatable boats.
Icebergs, Glaciers and Landscape
Scenic Antarctica was gorgeous. We drove with the Zodiac next to big icebergs, close to glaciers and to a sunken ship.
We passed through the Lemaire Canal at sunrise.
We were lucky and saw two groups of 15 orcas coming close to our ship.
I experienced penguins up close and it was funny how they walked and what sounds they made. Penguins are social animals and live in colonies. They build nests out of stones that they like to steal from other penguins. Molting takes place at the end of March, when they get new feathers – everything itches, and they cannot go into the water.
We saw Seals on land and ice floes, who were either lazy or fought with each other.
We saw several whales at the end of the season in March.
- I booked my ship over a year in advance and there were three of us in the cabin to make it cheaper.
- We were the last ship in season at the end of March and beginning of April. Thus, we had experienced everything: sunny and snowy days, as well as penguins, seals, whales and orcas.
- A classic tour is 10 days:
- The first and last day are for the embankment and disembarked of the ship.
- On two days each way you go through the Drake Passage.
- We spend four days in the Antarctica and two activities are planned per day. If the weather was good, we had landings, otherwise Zodiac tours.
- Antarctica can be traveled only from early October to late March, otherwise it is too cold.
- The ships leave from Ushuaia that is located in the south of Argentinian.
- Antarctica is a unique journey in a lifetime and not particularly cheap, so you have to save on time and plan. Keep also in mind the cost to get to Ushuaia. That's the reason I combined it with my world trip.
Leave A Comment