Antigua & Barbuda are each an island and together a country in the Caribbean.
Impressions from my Vlog
In the English port is the Nelson Dock Yard. The British used it to manage their trade in the Caribbean a few centuries ago. The harbor is well protected in a bay. That’s how I imagine the Caribbean.
The capital Saint John is located in the northwest of the island and the Museum of Antigua & Barbuda was interesting. I snorkeled on several beaches and there were a few fish to discover.
- I was for 4 days on Antigua & Barbuda.
- Day 1: Arrival by plane from St. Kitts & Nevis to Saint John.
- Day 2: Day trip to the English port on the other side of the island.
- Day 3: It was Sunday, no cruise ship in the harbor, almost all shops closed and hardly a bus drove. I was snorkeling and relaxing at several beaches in Saint John.
- Day 4: Morning visit to the Museum of Antigua & Barbuda. In the afternoon flight to Dominica.
- I used for my planning and can recommend the Lonely Planet for the Caribbean Islands.
- Getting there:
- There is an international airport.
- Cruise ships
- Budget transport from the airport to the city:
- At the airport are only taxis and no public transport.
- The road to Saint John is a few minutes walk away. I wait for about 1 hour for the next bus, probably I had just missed the other.
- Budget transport on Antigua:
- There are larger buses, all of which have a number.
- More information and a map with stops are available on http://www.busstopanu.com/BusStops/BusStops.html
- The buses stop only at the bus stops.
- The bus driver to the airport seemed unfriendly. I had my big travel backpack with me and before boarding, he said that he should not put it on a seat.
- I found the most budget accommodation on AirBNB.
- I can recommend as location the capital Saint John. It’s centrally located and you can explore the rest of the island cost-effective with buses.
- I stayed in an AirBNB with a 30-minute walk to the central bus station. Around the corner were a mini market and a 15-minute walk a larger supermarket. It had AC, a fan, a fridge, a microwave, and cutlery. In the microwave, I made myself warm coffee for breakfast and oatmeal porridge.
Do you have questions to plan your trip or suggestions? I'm looking forward to your commentary.